|It is impossible to imagine life without online shopping. More and more stores are coming online and online shopping is becoming increasingly easy. It is therefore of the utmost importance that payments are secure. BNP Paribas Fortis puts your security at the top of its agenda.|
We like to inform you about the three most commonly used payment options:
At the check-out for the online shop (e.g. Fnac, Amazon, Pixmania, etc.) from which you want to buy, you will see the logos for all the credit cards that are accepted on the payment page. Click on the logo of the card that you want to use.
Most sites ask you to confirm your payment with your card reader/Digipass (also known as 3D Secure*).
Payment then falls into four steps (view demo):
- You enter the card number and card expiry date, as well as the security code (CVC-code**) on the back of the card.
- You are redirected to a BNP Paribas Fortis web page. This may either be through a pop-up screen or integrated in the online shop's web page.
You then select your security module (card reader or Digipass). Remember, to use your Digipass, you will need to have your customer number handy.
- You must confirm the payment using an electronic signature (M2 button on the card reader or S on the Digipass), in the same way as for PC banking.
- You are returned to the online shop, where your purchase is confirmed.
Some sites still use conventional payment methods and you do not need a card reader or Digipass. (***)
Where this is the case, you just enter the card number and card expiry date, together with the security code (CVC-code**) on the back of the card. <pop-up screen> Payment is then complete.
|In online shops where the Maestro and/or Bancontact/Mister Cash logos are displayed on the payment page, you can also use your usual bank card (debit card) to pay. Click on the logo for the payment method you want to use.|
To pay online with your debit card, you will always need your card reader or Digipass (3D Secure*).
Payment then falls into four steps, in the same way as with a credit card (see Option 1: card reader/Digipass) (view demo).
3. Using other well-known payment systems, such as PayPal, iTunes, Google Play …
You usually need to create an "account" with the parties concerned the first time you use them. To do this, you will need to enter certain details (such as the number and expiry date of your credit card) and choose a password.
These details are saved. The next time you make a purchase, you just need to enter your password and the details you saved will be retrieved.
Each payment system has its own security system for protecting your transactions. You can find more information on their sites. One thing is certain: The security of such payment methods depends largely on your password. The stronger the password chosen, the more carefully it is treated, the greater the protection you will have. Tips for good password management: vie Frequently Asked Questions.
Online shops may offer consumers other payment methods. BNP Paribas Fortis cannot, however, express any opinion on the extent to which individual alternative payment methods are secure. We recommend, however, that you be on your guard when you enter your card, account and personal details, and remember that not all websites are secure.
BNP Paribas Fortis will offer other user-friendly payment methods in the future. We will provide you with information about them as and when they become available.
Would you like to know more? Take a look at the Frequently Asked Questions.
* 3D Secure is an additional security module for online payments made using a Visa card, MasterCard or a BNP Paribas Fortis bank card. The 3D Secure system confirms that you are the rightful owner of the card. Whether or not 3D Secure is used depends on the payment method offered by the online shop and the options available with your card.
*** Visa and MasterCard can be used in both ways. It therefore depends on the payment options offered by the website. If you see the Verified by Visa and Mastercard Secure Code logos, you will need your card reader or Digipass (also known as a 3D Secure payment). American Express only works with the conventional payment method.