Security advice bank card
Your bank card is strictly personal. Make sure you follow these handy tips:
- Always keep your bank card with you or in a safe place.
- As soon as you receive your bank card, sign it on the back straightaway to avoid a potential thief doing it for you.
- Keep your PIN secret: never share it with someone else, do not write it down anywhere and cover the keypad whenever you enter it. You can change the PIN for your bank card to a number that is easy for you to remember. You can do this at any ATM in Belgium. Never choose a PIN that might be obvious, such as part of your date of birth or four identical or consecutive numbers.
- Destroy any cards you no longer need or which have expired.
- Keep your receipts as proof of your cash withdrawals and payments. Check your payments and card statements regularly using PC banking. If you notice something wrong, contact your bank immediately.
- Keep an eye on your card when you pay for something in a shop.
- Make sure you retrieve your card when you have finished paying.
- What if your card is swallowed by a cash dispenser? Get it blocked as soon as possible.
- Always check the amount and currency on the screen, document or slip before you confirm the transaction. Never confirm the transaction if you think the price is incorrect.